One of the best treatments for the symptoms of a herniated disc is stretching exercises. By gently stretching the muscles in the back, their flexibility is improved, helping them stabilize the disc herniation area. Overall endurance and circulation are also improved with herniated disc exercises, and symptoms improve.
What is the best exercise for herniated disc?
Read and learn about hide
A doctor will usually recommend a few days of rest after experiencing a herniated disk. Doing gentle activities and exercises will strengthen the muscles that support the spine and reduce pressure on the spinal column.
Gentle activities that can help with a herniated disk include:
What is the fastest way to heal a herniated disc in the lower back?
Nonsurgical treatment may include:
- Rest. One to 2 days of bed rest will usually help relieve back and leg pain.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or naproxen can help relieve pain.
- Physical therapy.
- Epidural steroid injection.
What activities should you avoid with a herniated disc?
Everyday Activities to Avoid with Herniated Disc
- Sitting too much. Sitting puts more stress on your spinal discs, especially when slouching forward in a seat.
- Doing laundry.
- Feeding a pet.
- Strenuous exercise.
- Shoveling snow or gardening.
- Learn more: