- 5: Acknowledge FIVE things you see around you.
- 4: Acknowledge FOUR things you can touch around you.
- 3: Acknowledge THREE things you hear.
- 2: Acknowledge TWO things you can smell.
- 1: Acknowledge ONE thing you can taste.
What are some grounding activities?
- The 5-4-3-2-1 Technique:
- Memory game:
- Picture someone you love:
- List your favorite things:
- Play the categories game:
- Spell some things backward:
- Visualize turning down an emotional dial:
- Listen to your surroundings:
What is the 5 4 3 2 1 grounding technique?
The Anxiety 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 technique is grounded in mindfulness, which helps calm the nervous system. By shifting your attention from focusing on the causes of anxiety to being curious about your present sensations, the technique encourages you to change your brain’s response to stress in two important ways.
How to do grounding?
When you’re outside, you can easily ground yourself by allowing the bottoms of your feet, palms of your hands, or entire body to touch the earth. Walk in the grass, lay in the sand, or swim in the sea. These are all easy ways to naturally reconnect.