- Barley and other whole grains.
- Eggplant and okra.
- Vegetable oils.
- Apples, grapes, strawberries, citrus fruits.
- Foods fortified with sterols and stanols.
What is the best diet to lower cholesterol quickly?
- Reduce saturated fats. Saturated fats, found primarily in red meat and full-fat dairy products, raise your total cholesterol.
- Eliminate trans fats.
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Increase soluble fiber.
- Add whey protein.
What should you avoid on a low cholesterol diet?
- Limit total intake of fats and oils.
- Avoid butter, stick margarine, shortening, lard, palm and coconut oils.
- Limit mayonnaise, salad dressings, gravies and sauces, unless they are homemade with low-fat ingredients.
- Limit chocolate.
Does coffee raise cholesterol?
While coffee does not contain cholesterol, it can affect cholesterol levels. The diterpenes in coffee suppress the body’s production of substances involved in cholesterol breakdown, causing cholesterol to increase. Specifically, coffee diterpenes may cause an increase in total cholesterol and LDL levels.