- Skinless chicken or turkey.
- Fish or seafood.
- Lean beef like sirloin or tenderloin.
- Tofu and beans, like kidney beans or lentils. Note that these are higher in potassium and phosphorus, so you may need to limit the portion size.
What are the 10 best foods for kidney disease?
- Cabbage. With abundant phytochemicals, this cruciferous vegetable is filling and nutritious.
- Red Peppers. Also low in potassium but high in flavor.
- Egg Whites.
- Red Grapes.
What five items are restricted on a renal diet?
Avoid foods that have salt in the first four or five items in the ingredient list. Don’t eat ham, bacon, sausage, hot dogs, lunch meats, chicken tenders or nuggets, or regular canned soup. Only eat reduced-sodium soups that don’t have potassium chloride as an ingredient (check the food label.)
What does renal diet mean?
If you have chronic kidney disease or limited kidney function, your health care provider may suggest a kidney diet (renal diet). Foods in a kidney diet have lower amounts of sodium, protein, potassium, or phosphorus. There are many foods you can still enjoy!