A clear liquid diet includes clear liquids, and foods that are liquid at room temperature. Examples include the following: Water and clear juices (such as apple, cranberry, or grape), strained citrus juices or fruit punch. Coffee or tea (without cream or milk)
What can I drink to soothe diverticulitis?
- water, coffee, and tea without milk.
- strained fruit juices with no pulp, such as white grape or apple juice.
- soft drinks or sports drinks.
- chicken or beef broth.
- ice popsicles with no fruit pulp or pieces.
- Jell-O without fruit.
Is a liquid diet necessary for diverticulitis?
During flare ups of diverticulitis, follow a clear liquid diet. Your doctor will let you know when to progress from clear liquids to low fiber solids and then back to your normal diet. A clear liquid diet means no solid foods. Juices should have no pulp.
What soups can you eat on a clear liquid diet?
- clear broths (beef, chicken, vegetable)
- strained and pureed vegetable soup.
- strained meat- or cream-based soups (may contain pureed veggies or meat)