What is the most common diet for a diabetic patient?
- Fruits and vegetables.
- Whole grains, such as whole wheat, brown rice, barley, quinoa, and oats.
- Proteins, such as lean meats, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, nuts, beans, lentils, and tofu.
- Nonfat or low-fat dairy, such as milk, yogurt, and cheese.
What foods should diabetics avoid?
- Sugar-sweetened beverages.
- Trans fats.
- White bread, rice, and pasta.
- Fruit-flavored yogurt.
- Sweetened breakfast cereals.
- Flavored coffee drinks.
- Honey, agave nectar, and maple syrup.
- Dried fruit.
What is the number 1 vegetable to avoid?
Nightshade vegetables, like peppers, potatoes, and eggplant, are are controversial, because many claim they can cause inflammation, according to Cynthia Sass, a registered dietician. This can lead to some pretty serious complications down the line: heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, to name a few.