How many times a day should I stretch my piriformis muscle?
Grip behind the thigh and pull this knee in towards your chest. You should feel a stretch in the buttock. Hold this position for 30 seconds, repeat 3-5 times, and stretch 3 times a day.
How do you release the piriformis muscle?
If you need to release the piriformis on the left side, start by lying on your left side and placing your left elbow on the mat or floor. This will stabilize your upper body. Place the foam roller beneath the back side of your left hip, under your piriformis. Roll back and forth to release the tension in the muscle.
What is the best exercise for piriformis syndrome?
- Lie on your back with your legs straight.
- Lift your affected leg and bend your knee. With your opposite hand, reach across your body, and then gently pull your knee toward your opposite shoulder.
- Hold the stretch for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat with your other leg.
- Repeat 2 to 4 times on each side.