If you’re not sure where to start, choose a mat that’s about 1/8-in. thick (or 3.175 mm), a pretty standard thickness. These mats are excellent for those in a strong, flowing practice. They allow solid contact with the floor, which helps with stability during a variety of poses.
Can an exercise mat be too thick?
But for most of us who are either beginners, intermediate or accustomed to a certain standard of comfort when practicing, a yoga mat that’s too thick is just not acceptable; neither is one that is too thin. When your hands and feet start to sink into the surface of your mat you’ll know it’s too thick for sure.
Is a thick or thin exercise mat better?
What is the best mat for home exercise?
- Best Overall: BalanceFrom GoCloud All-Purpose Extra Thick Exercise Mat.
- Best for Small Home Gyms: Wellnessmats® Fitness Mats.
- Best for Fitness Classes: Nike Training Mat 2.0.
- Best for Travel: Gaiam Yoga Mat Folding Travel Fitness & Exercise Mat.
- Best Floor Cover: BalanceFrom Puzzle Exercise Mat.