What can you not eat on keto?
- Starchy vegetables and high-sugar fruits.
- Sweetened yogurt.
- Honey, syrup or sugar in any form.
- Chips and crackers.
- Baked goods including gluten-free baked goods.
What is the keto diet and does it work?
On a keto diet, you restrict carbohydrates and protein, which means you consume a diet high in fat. Insufficient carbohydrates or protein means you don’t have much glucose for fuel. Your body utilizes that back-up fuel, converting the fat you eat and body fat into ketones. You’re literally burning fat for fuel!
What are the basic rules for keto?
- Cut out the carbs. Consume under 25 net carbs per day (total carbs minus fiber).
- Eat high quality protein.
- Go heavy on the fats.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
- Stick to simple beverages.
- Avoid starchy vegetables.
- Avoid starchy fruits.
- Keep your food consumption to an 8 hour window.