- Sit or stand in a comfortable position, with your elbows positioned slightly back. This position allows your chest to expand more fully.
- Take a deep breath and hold it for as long as you can.
- Let the air out and then cough strongly.
- Repeat these steps up to 10 times every hour.
What can I do to improve my breathing with COPD?
- Focus on protecting your overall health. Wash your hands.
- Use oxygen therapy if you need it. Supplemental oxygen can help you live longer and with fewer COPD symptoms.
- Follow a healthy COPD diet.
- Take part in a COPD exercise program.
- Be mindful about medications.
Are breathing exercises good for COPD?
Breathing exercise (BE) has been an essential part of a comprehensive pulmonary rehabilitation program, for COPD patients.
Can you reverse COPD with exercise?
Although exercise has been shown to improve the lives of people who have COPD, it will not cure or reverse your condition. Most people with COPD experience shortness of breath, which can make it hard to perform day-to-day tasks or engage in physical activity. If you don’t exercise, your muscles will weaken.