How do I loosen up my sciatic nerve?
- Lie on your back with both of your knees bent and your feet on the ground.
- Lift one leg and cross it just above your knee.
- Hold the thigh of the leg with the foot on the ground and pull up to your chest until you can feel the stretch in your buttocks.
- Hold for 10 to 30 seconds.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
Can you fix sciatica with exercise?
When you exercise on a daily basis, your sciatica symptoms may improve in the short term and you may have fewer recurrences over time. Talk with your doctor if your symptoms do not improve and/or worsen with exercise, which can indicate a more serious injury to your sciatic nerve root(s).
Is it better to rest or exercise sciatica?
It may seem counterintuitive to be active when you’re experiencing recurring discomfort from sciatica. However, too much rest can do more harm than good. The main reason is because a lack of sufficient activity weakens muscles around the lower back area.