- 5: Acknowledge FIVE things you see around you.
- 4: Acknowledge FOUR things you can touch around you.
- 3: Acknowledge THREE things you hear.
- 2: Acknowledge TWO things you can smell.
- 1: Acknowledge ONE thing you can taste.
How can I practice grounding for anxiety?
- Put your hands in water.
- Pick up or touch items near you.
- Breathe deeply.
- Savor a food or drink.
- Take a short walk.
- Hold a piece of ice.
- Savor a scent.
- Move your body.
What are grounding exercises?
Grounding exercises are things you can do to bring yourself into contact with the present moment – the here and now. They can be quick strategies (like taking three deep “belly breaths”) or longer, more formal exercises (like meditation).
What is the 3 3 3 rule for anxiety?
Follow the 3-3-3 rule.
Look around you and name three things you see. Then, name three sounds you hear. Finally, move three parts of your body — your ankle, fingers, or arm.